Name:

I served for 14 months in Iraq as a Captain in the 1st Armored Division. The most needy Iraqi children had an amazing affect on me. This is why I am working on the War Kids Relief to better their lives.

Friday, June 09, 2006

IRAQ: Athletes targeted for sectarian, religious reasons

-There is little doubt that, for 25-year-old footballer Salman Obaid, sport means health, vitality and integration. But for some extremists, sport means disrespect for modesty and the adoption of western values. “My dream since childhood was to be a football player and this dream came true,” said Obaid. “Unfortunately, it hasn’t been easy – I’ve received three threats accusing me of being a betrayer of Muslims.” On 14 May, 19-year-old Mannar Mudhafar, one of the best soccer players on the popular Zawra team, was shot to death in the streets of the capital.

Read entire article: http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=53813&SelectRegion=Middle_East&SelectCountry=IRAQ

For more information on War Kids Relief visit, http://www.vvaf.org/programs/war-kids-relief/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home