Name:

I served for 14 months in Iraq as a Captain in the 1st Armored Division. The most needy Iraqi children had an amazing affect on me. This is why I am working on the War Kids Relief to better their lives.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Return to Baghdad Update 5

Orphans and Street Kids Project
Return to Baghdad Update 5
Sunday, 7 August 2005

BAGHDAD, IRAQ – One of the most uplifting parts of doing this project is getting children in America involved and showing them that they are blessed to be part of a wonderful society. It also shows them what an amazing difference they can make in others lives. During our July Fundraising BBQ in Clarence I was approached my friend Charles son gave me a baseball bat and glove saying, “Could you please give these to an Iraqi child?” It was a wonderful act of kindness as his father was leaving the next day to return to military service.

Since I spent the majority of my weekend writing and reworking proposals, I needed to do something to remind me that all this work is for a reason. I took the baseball bat, glove, and a baseball up to the corner supermarket where I buy some of my goods. Here is an Iraqi boy who is mentally disabled and works hard loading goods into customers’ cars. He has a difficult life, especially for a child.

When I gave him the baseball equipment he at first could not understand it was a gift. One of the adults at the store spoke broken English and helped me explain it to him. Finally he understood and with a little bit of instruction began to pick up on the basics of throwing, catching, and hitting. Baseball is not a common sport in this culture, but he began to understand. I decided to give the extra ball to his little sister who seemed left out.

The joy that this simple act brought to this child is the reason why we do the things we do. Efforts like the gift that was carried across the oceans from one young boy in America to one young boy in Iraq can lay the seeds to a better future here. I will be sure to get Charles son a copy of this picture when I get home so he can see the wonderful results of his kidness.

For more information about the Orphans and Street Kids Project visit the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation (VVAF) homepage, http://vvaf.org/. The project is a partnership between the VVAF and Opportunities for Kids International, INC, (http://www.okiinc.org/).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

easton baseball bat can be found here.

November 13, 2005 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home