Name:

I served for 14 months in Iraq as a Captain in the 1st Armored Division. The most needy Iraqi children had an amazing affect on me. This is why I am working on the War Kids Relief to better their lives.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Return to Baghdad Update 7

Orphans and Street Kids Project
Return to Baghdad Update 7
Thursday, 11 August 2005

BAGHDAD, IRAQ – These past mornings I have awoke with the aches and pains from a tumble taken on Tuesday afternoon, smashing by back over the crossbars of a tent. As I laid on the mud covered floor of the Liberty Pool gym I thought of how embarrassing it would be to explain to my friends at home that I was paralyzed in Iraq, not from a car bomb, IED, or ambush, but from taking a spill at the gym! Luckily there was someone else with me in the locker room that pulled me off the floor and back into a normal position.

It made it uncomfortable to climb in and out of the truck on Wednesday as I made my way around to different meetings I had set up. Throughout this entire trip, the one meeting that I most desired was the hardest to coordinate because it involved the military. Thanks to the help of the high ranking contact that really supports the Orphans and Street Kids Project I was able to work into the proper channels, but setting up a meeting between military personnel stationed in different areas was extremely challenging. Security, weather, flights, and a variety of other elements have postponed or cancelled multiple attempts. Finally the G5 and I were able to sit down in the lobby of the new American Embassy.

Low and behold, the new American Embassy is Sadaam’s main palace. This is the same palace where I visited Steve and his crew when we were distributing shoes that had been sent to me while I was in Iraq by OKI in Buffalo. When I returned on this trip I found a fortified compound that is a critical part of Iraq’s success, but also a place where many good intentioned humanitarians get locked into bureaucracy while attempting to change Iraq, even though they have never really experienced Iraq.

Luckily for me I was able to work with a fantastic LTC who did understand Iraq and understood the fantastic need for my project. Through the meeting we found a lot of common ground, but more importantly he sent me in directions I have not yet been able to reach. Between that meeting and a meeting with Jim Russell of the Iraq Reconstruction Management Office (IRMO), I feel like I have really been able to get my foot in the door of the Embassy.

IRMO sets the stage for the future of Iraq, working closely with ministries and giving them advice as they find their way to rebuilding this society. Jim Russell is a life time humanitarian, and has been truly helpful to my efforts. Through IRMO I will be able to work closely with both the Iraqi Minister of Labor and Social Affairs (MOLSA) and the US government. These are critical pieces for the programs success.

Throughout my meetings this here at the Embassy a common tone rang clear...this project is extremely needed. There is very little support being given to these children as they fall further and further down the list of ever growing priorities.

Thursday morning I awoke early as possible to assure my flight on a Blackhawk to Baghdad International Airport (BIAP.) During the flight I was able to meet with a lovely USAID contractor, Federica Sawyer, who was heading to the same location that I was, and flying out. She convinced me to come to the terminal with her and attempt to fly out early. Because of the sandstorm, and the upcoming constitutional deadline, the wait at the airport was 3 DAYS!

BIAP differs from any other airport I have ever been to. Security consisted of dogs sniffing our bags before entering the terminal and then sitting in a snake like line of fatigued passengers waiting for someone to call their flight out. There is no ticket desk set up, no digital board announcing flights, and most importantly no STARBUCKS!

In line I met an NBC producer, Paul Nissan, who knew about my project from the Nightly News piece. Between his Arabic and Frederica’s contacts we were able to work our way around the line and into the back offices of Iraqi Airways. Here $300 (the price of the ticket) exchanged hands and we were booked on a flight out of BIAP. Nearly 11 hours later we were airborne for Amman.

On our descent into the Amman airport I began to get a bit nervous as the plane shook and rattled. At this point I realized that no one in the world knew I was on this flight and that the only record of me being here was a paper ticket that was in my pocket...if we don’t make it no one will ever know what happened to me. My mother would KILL ME!

Obviously we made it, or I wouldn’t be writing to you! During my time in Amman I was able to experience a bit of the culture as well as have a fantastic meeting with UNICEF before heading back to the states. All in all this was an extremely successful trip to Baghdad, a return trip will soon be in the works.

Please stay tuned for future updates, as the Orphans and Street Kids Project works to help the most innocent victims of this war. Thanks for your support.

For more information about the Orphans and Street Kids Project visit the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation (VVAF) homepage, http://vvaf.org/. The project is a partnership between the VVAF and Opportunities for Kids International, INC, (http://www.okiinc.org/).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home