Name:

I served for 14 months in Iraq as a Captain in the 1st Armored Division. The most needy Iraqi children had an amazing affect on me. This is why I am working on the War Kids Relief to better their lives.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

September Update

First I would like to apologize for the delay in updates. This site will now be updated on a regular schedule twice a month. Please tune in for updates.

Since returning to Iraq my life has been in a whirlwind as I have taken these last few weeks to get everything in order. The Orphans and Street Kids Project took off at such a pace that it became necessary to take a step back and ensure we have the proper proposals and plans to move forward. One of the key lessons I learned from my trip to Iraq was utilizing an existing model to ensure success.

From working with the Minster of Human Rights I have worked to model my work off of theirs. One of the additions to the project is the Family Program. This is a program designed to integrate the abandoned children back into the family environment. Much like our US Foster Family Program this will help the child grow and gain the love and support only a family can provide. Unlike our US Foster Family Program, in Iraq many of these children are economic orphans who have been forced away from their family because of economic hardships.

We intend to utilize that connection and return as many children as possible to their parents and provide a monthly stipend to support the child being there. Of course their is the fear that this child will be returned to the streets to work, so we have implemented an accountability piece. Each child is accountable at school each day and must sign in. Social Workers will monitor this stystem to ensure that this becomes a reality.

This is one of the many changes that have come about from my trip to Iraq. It was an extremely beneficial visit so I can solidify the plan.

Another recent phenomenon is the idea that I have become somewhat of an expert on the subject and have now taken part in numerous conferences discussing Iraqi Youth. This last week I worked daily with Dr. Mounzer Fatfat, the senoir advisor to the US Embassador to Iraq, discussing the issue of Positive Youth Development to Deter Radicalism. I took quite a deal from the sessions and it helped show the extereme need for what I am trying to accomplish.

For more information about the Orphans and Street Kids Project visit the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation (VVAF) homepage, http://vvaf.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home